7 Awesome New Years Eve Recipes
New Year’s Eve is coming up, and for most people, this means a big celebration. Whether you’re planning to host a large gathering in your new home or just have a quiet night with the family, this is the perfect time to try a few new recipes. We’ve collected a few ideas that will make your event a smash.
Strawberry Champagne Punch
You don’t want to spend the whole party playing host or hostess. Something simple like this strawberry champagne punch will keep your guests happy.
- 20 oz frozen strawberries, thawed
- 2 litres Pink Moscato Champagne
- 1 litre lemon-lime soda
- 1/4 cup simple syrup
- Sliced strawberries and mint sprigs, for garnish
1. Make “simple syrup” by mixing equal amounts of sugar and water on the stove until the sugar dissolves. Allow to cool.
2. Puree the thawed frozen strawberries.
3. Pour all ingredients into your punch bowl and stir.
4. Serve over ice with a fresh strawberry and a sprig of mint.
Disappearing Cotton Candy Mocktails
These drinks are a hit for those looking for some fancy drinks for the kids. Since you probably don’t have a cotton candy machine in your home, this probably isn’t the best choice for serving a crowd, but if you pick up a few bags of cotton candy from the candy aisle, your family will have some fun.
- Cotton Candy
- Ginger all or lemon-lime soda (Cherry flavoured versions with pink dye are prettier)
- Fruit-flavoured liquorice sticks as straws
Place a handful of cotton candy into the glass. Add a licorice stick for a straw.
Pour the soda over the cotton candy. It disappears and sweetens the drink.
Bourbon Bacon Crockpot Meatballs
Using frozen meatballs and the slow cooker, this is an easy recipe that allows you to spend your time getting ready for your party rather than slaving in the kitchen. If you want to eliminate the final step of putting the meatballs on a skewer with bacon, simply leave them in the crockpot for guests to serve on their own.
- 1 cup barbeque sauce
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp bourbon
- Chili powder (to taste)
- 1 package frozen meatballs
- 1/2 pound bacon, cooked, then sliced in half
1. Mix the first four ingredients in a small bowl.
2. Place the frozen meatballs in your slow cooker.
3. Pour the sauce over the meatballs.
4. Set the cooker to high for two to three hours.
5. To serve, place two meatballs on a skewer with a piece of folded bacon in the middle.
Mini Lasagna Rolls
Lasagna can be a lot of work, but it’s always a hit. Fortunately, you can this appetizer ahead of time and freeze it until the big day.
- 2 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- Zest of one lemon
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 10 lasagna noodles
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- Marinara sauce
1. Boil the lasagna noodles as directed.
2. Drain noodles, then cut in half to make shorter.
3. Mix together the first six ingredients.
4. Spread this filling on each lasagna noodle.
5. Roll it up and place in a baking pan.
6. Repeat with all of the noodles.
7. Drip the desired amount of sauce and mozzarella cheese over the top.
8. Bake at 350 degrees for around 15-20 minutes.
9. Serve with extra sauce for dipping.
Crockpot Chicken Tortellini Soup
Warm and comforting, this homemade soup is easy to make. Serve it alongside some crusty French bread or a light salad.
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken stock
- 16oz package of tortellini
1. Place everything except the tortellini into your slow cooker.
2. Cook for three hours on high or six hours on low.
tortellini for the last 15 minutes.
Crockpot Mexican Quinoa Tacos
Everyone loves tacos, and this recipe is especially nice because it’s vegetarian. You may even add this to your regular weekly rotation.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 cans black beans
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can enchilada sauce
- 1 can corn
- 1 package taco seasonings
- Corn or flour tortilla
- Taco toppings like cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, sour cream, etc.
1. Rinse the quinoa thoroughly.
2. Put the first seven ingredients into your slow cooker.
3. Cook on high for around two to four hours. Check periodically to be sure that the quinoa isn’t getting too mushy.
4. Serve with tortillas, letting everyone add the toppings they prefer.
Banana Split Bites
Get the New Year off to a healthy start with this easy-to-make healthy recipe. It works well in small or large batches, but you’ll have to remember to purchase bananas a few days in advance so that they are ripe when you make the dish.
- Several ripe bananas
- Dark or milk chocolate chips
- Chopped nuts
- Maraschino cherries
1. Peel the bananas and break them into three or four sections.
2. Place on a lined baking sheet and freeze for an hour.
3. Melt chocolate chips in a double boiler.
4. Dip the banana piece into the chocolate, then place it back on the baking sheet.
5. Sprinkle nuts over the top.
6. Add a maraschino cherry to the top.
7. Freeze for at least 30 more minutes.
The New Year is the perfect time to try some new recipes. If you choose any of these, we think that you’re sure to find a new favourite.