Sterling Specifications: Interior Finishes
When you’re trying to choose a builder, you want detailed information about every little detail that will go into your home. Some builders try to hide this information, but at Sterling Homes, we understand how important it is for you to use this knowledge to guide your decision.
We only use high-quality products when building our homes, and we’d like to tell you a little more about what you’ll be getting when it comes to the interior finishes that will make your new home truly yours.
Terms to Know
As you learn more about the interior finishes of your new home, there are a few unfamiliar terms you may come across:
- Thermofoil – A type of material used in cabinets. It’s made from flexible vinyl applied over wood.
- Underlay – The material that goes underneath the flooring you see.
- BCF Nylon – BCF stands for Bulk Continuous Filament. Essentially, it means the carpet is made from a long fiber. This type of carpeting does not shed as much as other styles.
- MDF – MDF stands for Medium Density Fiberboard. It’s often used in the wooden trim on the interior of the home.
Sterling Cabinets and Countertops
Your cabinets and countertops should be sturdy enough to withstand years of use. Our products are durable and beautiful.
- Cabinets and Vanities: You can choose from Thermofoil, maple, or oak cabinetry with your choice of Sterling stains. Area Managers can tell you the advantages of each style. The kitchen has 36” high upper cabinets and a microwave shelf. You’ll also get cabinetry over the refrigerator that is 24” deep.
- Countertops: All Sterling homes come with ¾” quartz countertops in the kitchen, bathrooms, and laundry room. Sinks are top-mounted.
- Medicine Cabinet: The cabinet supplier will also provide a medicine cabinet that matches your bathroom cabinet choices.
From the floors to the walls, Sterling’s product choices have got you covered.
- Carpet: Sterling uses carpets made from 100 percent BCF nylon. This is available in many different colours, and the style is durable and lustrous.
- Underlay: The eight-pound underlay beneath the carpet gives the flooring an extra touch of luxury.
- Laminate Flooring: We use builder-grade laminate throughout the entire first floor, including the half-bath. These floors are durable and easy to clean.
- Luxury Vinyl Plank: Sterling uses this in the full bathrooms and in the upstairs laundry, where applicable. This material is perfect for use in damp rooms, and the plans have a nicer look than traditional vinyl flooring.
- Bathroom Tile Tims: You’ll get one row of tile (maximum 6”) around the main bathtubs and one-piece shower stalls. If you have a soaker tub, you’ll get a tile deck and a minimum of 18” of wall tile. We install metal schluter trim on all exposed edges of tile to protect them.
- Tiled Shower Stall (if Applicable): The acrylic shower base comes with full-height tiled walls, going up to the ceiling.
- Tile Backsplash: In the kitchen, you’ll get a full-height tile backsplash to the underside of the upper cabinets. On vanity countertops, you get one row of backsplash tile (maximum 6”). Metal schluter trim also covers these exposed edges.
Other Sterling Finishes
Throughout the home, there are other small details that complete the look. When you choose Sterling, you can feel confident each of these finishing touches was selected with care.
- Bathroom Hardware: We’ll install a Moen “Iso” chrome towel bar and one toilet paper holder in each bathroom. When appropriate, we use the Moen chrome curved shower rod.
- Front Entry Door Locks: We use a Weiser Winston satin chrome keyed lockset with Weiser 26D deadbolt.
- Interior Door Levers: Sterling’s choice for the interior doors is the Weiser Winston satin chrome door levers. On all bathroom and master bedroom doors, you’ll get privacy locksets. All other opening doors have passage levers.
- Passage Doors: Your doors will be paint grade hollow core doors, and you have a choice of seven different styles.
- Bifold Doors: A paint grade door will be installed to match the passage doors. Bifold doors will have a ½ jamb.
- Door and Window Casings: These have a 2 ¼ “ MDF.
Baseboards: These are made from three-inch MDF.
- Stub Walls: Your stub walls will be made with paint grade MDF cap with 1 ¼” crown moulding installed to the underside of capping.
Appliances will come with your new home, and you’ll receive an appliance gift certificate to be given to the customer and used towards an appliance package from Sterling’s preferred supplier, Trail Appliances. Package is to be delivered and installed after possession. You can choose to upgrade these appliances for a bit more.
We’ve worked hard to select building materials that have the quality our customers want. Come check out the quality of our work by visiting one of our show homes. If you’d like to learn more, see our previous Sterling specifications posts explaining our exterior finishes, mechanical systems and paint, drywall and insulation.
About the Author:
Learn more about:
Sterling Homes - Home Builder in Edmonton
Start The Home Buying Process Now